Vălenii de Munte, atested since 1427 was a "fair of the săcuieni and a custom".
Vălenii de Munte, atested since 1427 was a "fair of the săcuieni and a custom". It is located on the right shore of Teleajen, and its develpment was determined by this fact, the place being dominated by the confluente of various valleys, of which the one of the Teleajen river. This valley was an ancient trade route linking Transylvania to Tara Romaneasca (old name of the south region of Romania), perhaps on the old Roman road.
Here, the great Romanian historian Nicolae Iorga, created the National Queen Mary Missionary School, opened in 1922. This school was meant to prepare young women across the country for teaching career. Also here, Nicolae Iorga organized in 1923 the Religious Art Museum, which is functioning until today.
Other objectives: The Nicolae Iorga Memorial Museum; The Valea Teleajenului Ethnography Museum ; The Monastery of the Assumption (1680); St. Nicholas-Tabaci Church (1633); Church of St. John (XVIII); The Entrance in the Church of the Virgin Mary Church (1808, 1982-1983 restoration), the Berevoieşti wooden church (XVIII), the inn (XIX), The Heroes Monument, built after 1989 in the center part of the city.
This resort hosts the annual summer courses of the Popular University "Nicolae Iorga" and various festivals that have already become traditional.